[mod_python] Sending a message to Apache children

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Tue Nov 11 09:58:45 EST 2003

cs1spw at bath.ac.uk said:
> Actually we do - every 5 minutes we check the timestamp to see if an
> update has been made. We're trying to avoid making the call to the
> filesystem to check the timestamp on every request.

Actually, my gut feeling is that a stat() on a file that is still in the cache
is not going to be noticeably more expensive than the gettimeofday() call you
need to do to decide whether five minutes are up.  So give it a whirl with the
stat() on every call and see what that does to your performance, you might be
surprised.