[mod_python] Directory or Location?

Timothy M. Brauch tbrauch at mindless.com
Thu Jun 12 02:25:34 EST 2003

> > What is the difference between using "Location" and "Directory"?  When
do I
> > use each one?
> >
> > As I found out, there is a difference and if you use "Location" where
you
> > should use "Directory".  You get a 500 Internal Server Error that I
never
> > quite understood and spent some time trying to fix.  There doesn't seem
> > be anything in the documentation I've read to describe the difference
>
> That's because you haven't read the right documentation :)
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to be flip about this, but in the end, this shows
> something of the problem in trying to use something like mod_python
> without having a good understanding of the underlying application.
> "<Directory>" and "<Location>" directives are Apache directives, and
> they're well-documented in the Apache docs.  I don't feel like looking
> at the mod_python docs, but either they say that you should look into
> the Apache config file format to at least understand it somewhat or ...
> well, they should.
>
> -roy

That would help explain things a lot.  I've been using Python for quite a
few years now and I am new to Apache, probably opposite of most users.  I
just did a default install of Apache and haven't learned/played with it too
much.  Python, however, I use everyday and can do most anything with it by
now (except using mod_python it would seem).

I didn't see anywhere in the mod_python docs the mention that Directory and
Location are Apache directives.  They are just used.  But, now that I know
it, I've got some reading to do over at apache.org.

Thanks,

 - Tim