[mod_python] apache API and mod_python <-> protocol module integration

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 17:17:19 EST 2003

> the basic idea is that apache2 by default accepts http like connections,
> which aren't conducive to the synchronous communication of telnet..
> keep-alive is vaguely similar but not good enough for the purposes of
> allowing a telnet or pop/3 gateway

Currently, as I found when implementing Z39.50, it's a real pain as
there's no way to read in all available data, and if you try to read past
the end of the available data the read will block.

This makes it useless for something like (say) an IRC or MUD style server
where there might be data flowing in either direction at any given time.
Mod_Perl on the other hand has a better system:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/protocols.html

When I get time, I'm going to look at how to implement this in mod_python,
but that might not be for a while, so if anyone else wants to weigh in,
please do so and let me know :)

Rob

,'---/::::::::::.    Nebmedes:  telnet: nebmedes.o-r-g.org 7777
____/:::::::::::::.                WWW:  http://nebmedes.o-r-g.org:8000/
I L L U M I N A T I