[mod_python] Query about client server interaction

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Thu Jan 23 09:07:22 EST 2003

> Is this some server/client setting or something that needs to be specified
> in the Headers so that there is no caching?

As far as I can see (and I have done a fair bit of tcp packet tracing on a
similar problem) this is basically just the way the client works.  The server
sends stuff as you expect, but the client delays rendering (or displaying the
results of the render) for some internal reason.

These initial delays will be much longer if the initial bit of the page
contains any other resources (such as style sheets or images) or if the layout
is complex (especially tables).  And if the time between updates is too short
(under 1 second?) then the client seems to batch up the info and only render it
in chunks every 5-10 seconds.

The examples I sent earlier work 100% as you would expect for me for both IE5
and Mozilla 1.1, both on quite slow (P2-class) machines, but a similar example
I had with stylesheets and 1-second status updates was much less successful.