[mod_python] Re: Python CMS with PgSQL

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Mon Dec 8 16:33:45 EST 2003

> > Don't reinvent the wheel. Building your own CMS is not a good idea
> > unless none of the existing "CMS type" web frameworks do
> what you need -
>
> I have looked at all the ones I know of but they all lack
> some of the features or
> control I need.

I can understan this, there are a lot of CMS apps out there but none of
these wheels ever seem "round" when you need one =p.

Tools that I know of:

mod_python comes with psp (with 3.x); this is very new atm, so things
may change as it grows and might cause you some headache with backwards
compatibility.  The worst setup I could see is needing to patch
mod_pyhton for a fix, but not wanting the latest version of PSP that
comes with it.  This is also partly me; I usally don't look deeply into
something until it's stood at least a year - so I know it will be
around.

For mod_python you can also get Draco (http://draco.boskant.nl/) or
Spyce (http://spyce.sourceforge.net/).  Both of these are close to the
way PSP works; spyce more so that Draco.  Draco allows for code to be in
a separate file, which might lend itself to larger projects better.

There is also Albatross
(http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/), which works for
mod_python, CGI, and in a standalone webserver.  Albatross extends along
the same lines as Draco, but instead of placing raw python in templates
it uses an XML-like tag language of al- and alx- tags.  Albatross can
also store it's session objects client side, server side, or on a
session server to support clusterd websites.

For down and dirty, quick and cheap, there is ezt
(http://svn.webdav.org/repos/projects/subwiki/trunk/lib/ezt.py), which
isn't a project to itself, but I've found useful when all I needed was
some %s magic with a bit more control (i.e. ifs and loops).

There are more I'm sure, but those are the ones stuck in my head.  I use
ezt and/or Albatross myself, each for about a year now.  I recommend
playing with each one, seeing which one works best in your enviroment,
then going with it.

Have fun,
Mike