[mod_python] Handlers "good practice" question

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Fri Dec 5 10:39:00 EST 2003

> >Also, based on the other responses, I definitely going to
> read the O'Reilly book about "Writing
> > Apache Modules in C and Perl"
>
> I don't see why you should write modules in C and Perl to
> write a web application. ModPython offers
> much more flexibility and power and ModPython *IS* an Apache
> C Module, your applications, IMHO should be written in a
> higher level language, and only if you really need very high
> performance, you could rewrite some of your application's
> modules in C.

I think you missed some of the thread. The point of recommending the
book is not to learn how write module in C or Perl, but to learn how
apache works.  AFAIK this is the only book out there that details the
Apache API, but even in it's dated state it's very useful.  Somethings
this book helped make clear for me was the difference between
authorization and authencation, how to have multiple handlers on the
same request in apache 1.3 (or why fixup handlers always return false),
and that all log handlers are called that are registered for a request.

Mike