[mod_python] Persistent db connections

VanL vlindberg at verio.net
Thu Aug 7 11:17:25 EST 2003

Conrad Steenberg wrote:

>Using dbpool would make your web app fail more gracefully, i.e. get
>slower with more connections, instead of giving some users an error that
>it was unable to connect to the DB, as you often see on overloaded
>discussion sites.

Is this correct?  I thought that even dbpool would not pool resources
between different apache processes.  Thus having a
one-connection-per-process (or two, or three, but some fixed number)
rule along with an apache maxclients setting would tend to keep the
database connections within an acceptable range.

If the max number of clients could be known, regardless of the number of
apache child processes, that would be great.  However, that doesn't
match my understanding of how it works.

VanL