[mod_python] File upload progress indicator

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 20 12:10:28 EST 2002

Brian,

The problem isn't with file uploading in general, I want to generate
near-realtime progress indications of the file upload's progress.  Which
should be possible by examining the Content-length header and making a
separate connection to the webserver, tracked via a session cookie.
It's actually really nice to be able to do this asynchronously in Flash
5.0+ using XML sockets, which I may or may not end up doing.  I'll
probably open source this component of it since it's really quite
useful, given that the status bars in IE don't tell you the progress of
a file upload, only if it's still going or not (and even then, not very
obviously).

The problem is that when you use FieldStorage, you have already
processed the file upload.  You don't get callbacks when apache is
reading.

My client is going to be dealing with large files quite often, and
although I didn't specify that I was going to provide them this advanced
functionality, I would like to give it to them anyway as it's really
nice from a UI standpoint.

-bob