[mod_python] mod_python 3.0.1: error after make install

Cameron S. Watters cameron at toolhouse.com
Wed Dec 18 14:28:52 EST 2002

Since I posted almost EXACTLY the same comment as the quoted one on
December 4th, I thought I'd reply.

My understanding is that this shouldn't be necessary, but is, in fact,
an issue with the version of libtool supplied with apache.

I was able to fix my problem by building apache from source by running:

tar -xzvf apache-tarball.tgz
cd apache-src-dir/
./buildconf
./configure --a mass of configure options
make
make install

you probably want to make sure you have a newish libtool installed
BEFORE you do the above.

this made it stop freaking out because it couldn't find a
libpython2.2.so. It is also my understanding that building libpython2.2
doesn't actually do anything other than fool
the install portion of the build into continuing with the process and
not erroring out.

I mention this mostly because this may NOT, in fact, be the most
correct solution to this problem.

--cameron