[mod_python] [Fwd: suse 8.0 obcallback problem.]

john riehl aka j.r. jayaare at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 10 10:56:03 EST 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: suse 8.0 obcallback problem.
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:45:51 -0800
From: john riehl aka j.r. <jayaare at earthlink.net>
To: mod_python at modpython.org

This is an informational item.  I want others to avoid the pain I had.
I was about to ask the list for help, when I solved the problem.

The system:  suse 8.0, patched, on intel xeon 2.0 ghz system
(hyperthreading).  apache 1.3.23-142, python-2.2-105,
mod_python-2.7.8-6, mod_ssl-2.8.7-110

The problem:
calling the hello world test script mptest returns an internal error 500
code, with the following messages:
make_obcallback(): could not import mod_python.apache.
make_obcallback(): could not call init.
[Sun Dec  8 20:57:06 2002] [error] [client 66.215.65.63] python_handler:
make_obcallback returned no obCallBack!

I tried all sorts of stuff, based on complaints/suggestions in web logs,
which made no effect (checking permissions, links from apache to
mod_python, setting PythonPath, PythonInterpreter, setting .htaccess).

The problem was a missing link, from the python libraries to the
mod_python libraries.  with the suse configuration, that means that
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python should be a symbolic link
pointing to /usr/lib/apache/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python.
To correct, go to /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/, and link it thusly:
ln -s /usr/lib/apache/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mod_python/ mod_python

none of the problems/solutions that I reviewed addressed this facet.

Hope it helps,

jr