[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application developmentlanguage

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Tue Aug 27 15:57:10 EST 2002

Just chipping in my thoughts here, mostly on the copyright issues.

As mod_python stands now (and as I understand it), it is solely under
the copyright of Gregory Trubetskoy
(http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-2.7.8/doc-html/front.html).
So unless Gregory has reasons to not do so, moving mod_python to an ASF
license shouldn't be much of an issue.  I'd also say that as a developer
I almost need to see mod_python placed under a "standard" open source
license like ASF, GNU, or Artistic (or even python's own PSF).  This
will give me the assurance that I won't find out one day that all the
mod_python releases are commercial and closed source.  I have been
burned in the past by this table cloth switching, and it wasn't fun.

The other thing I'd like to say is that python.apache.org should just be
mod_python.  It servers the same purpose as mod_perl, to allow apache
development in python.  Catering the section to template modules,
application servers, or others projects just dilutes what a developer is
looking for.  I do think a "sister sites" link area is a good idea, as
well as some kind of mod_python CPAN.

The community does need this, badly.  Python itself needs this.  I
recently did 20 interviews for the position of internet developer, and
not one person knew of python when I asked.  I figure there are two
reasons for this: python sucks, or it doesn't have enough exposure.
I've written code in python before, so I know it can't be number one...

Mike
--
Michael C. Neel
There are only 10 types of people in the world;