[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Aug 27 12:27:33 EST 2002

On 26 Aug 2002, Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net> wrote:

> My intent is not to *move* mod_python to apache.org - that is a call for
> Grisha to make in the future. My intent is to provide means for
> communication between Apache users and Python users (and thus create
> some "Apache-Python" users), to promote the needs of Apache-Python
> users, and promote Python as a web application development language in
> general.

I think it would make sense for there to be *something* on
python.apache.org that answers the question of "I've got Apache and I
like Python; now what?"

To start with just a really simple page linking to projects such as
mod_python, Cheetah (and other templating/html systems) could be
really good.  A lot more could possibly done in the future, but I
think this would be useful and hopefully not controversial.

Perhaps a few paragraphs explaining broadly how to do web development
in Python would be good.  What are the architectural decisions you
have to make (in-line vs templates vs DOM,...) and that sort of
thing.  I know I found it a bit confusing when looking at DTML vs
Cheetah vs everything else.

--
Martin