[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 25 00:37:51 EST 2002

* Jack Diederich <jack_diederich at email.com> [020824 23:47]:
> mod_snake is dead [modsnake.sourceforge.net] according to the author

Sounds to me like a step towards 'python.apache.org == mod_python'.
Perhaps Jorgen's fears that such a move may split the 'web python community'
may have been a little premature. Perhaps the current 'web python community'
may not be as big as initially estimated (a fact that python.apache.org is
intended to remedy).

> zope is well ... zope and has as much to with with Apache as it does IIS,
> or squid, or freecell.

I agree. It's quite big and getting bigger. Though my main issue with zope was
that it simply didn't scale well for projects with more than a few hundred
objects (at least from my experience). Perhaps because it uses a python-based
object database, which is not very performant for large scale projects.
But I will recommend it nevertheless as an introductory environment to web
programming (I really learned a lot in my zope days).

Vio