[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

Alain Tesio alain at onesite.org
Sun Aug 25 05:57:48 EST 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:29:59 -0500
"Jack Diederich" <jack_diederich at email.com> wrote:

> I haven't had time to go over the mod_snake sources yet, but there may
> be some good stuff in there.  I don't think that changes anything.
> (as a terrible metric, the mod_snake tarball is 100k larger than
> mod_python).  If people ressurect some of the code by patching mod_python,
> great.

Here is an interesting comment in the slashdot dicussion, no idea if all points
are valid though.

Alain

bye bye (Score:3, Informative)
by DrSkwid (`moc.elbbubtnuc' `ta' `mapshsals') on Sunday May 12, @06:23AM (#3505266)
(User #118965 Info | http://www.hardlight.couk.com/)

I was one of the people bugging him for updates, I could never get it to compile of
FreeBSD for me.

I ended up going over to mod_python.

Shame because one of the premises of mod_snake was the concept of nested python
interpreters. Like Apache itself mod_snake had one thread and then passed the request
on to another python interpreterrunning as a sub thread so that you could maintain
state between requests by using the same interpreter.

It sounded interesting, but I never got the chance to find out.

mod_python has the annoying attribute of requiring the whole python installation to
be compiled as single threaded which means some modules don't work (urllib for
instance - so you have to roll your own url en/decoder). Which then leaves you in the
stick world of two python installations of you want to use sockets and threads in
other applications.

I've still not sussed out how to easily manage two installations :(

mod_python does rule though, I much prefer using it to php or standard CGI and I'm
so glad I dont have to learn any more of mod_perl than the rudimentrary stuff I
picked from reading the O'Reilly mod_perl book.