[mod_python] mod_python under IIS?

Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard {Metation} jfk at metation.com
Tue Apr 2 11:49:12 EST 2002

Mandag  1. April 2002 22:45 skrev du:
> Hi,
>
> I've never seen an embedded python for IIS. The only
> servers I know that are lucky enough to have such python
> embedding are Apache and AOLServer (PyWX)
>
> http://www.idyll.org/~t/python9/pywx.html
>
> The only reasonable (scalable) alternative I know of is
> FastCGI, which involves plugging a module into your
> webserver that passes the requests onto an external
> persistent threaded Python server, potentially on a
> different machine, or even multiple machines.
>
> http://www.fastcgi.com/
>
> There is a FastCGI module for IIS, There are several python
> modules/servers listed on the FastCGI home page.

This sounds like a plausible solution, I'll investigate it further.

> I don't know IIS at all, but is there any way you can get
> IIS to pass requests onto COM objects? If so, then you can
> use Mark Hammond's excellent win32 extensions, which allow
> you to very easily write both COM servers and clients in
> python.
>
> http://www.python.org/windows/

We are primarily a Unix house and have no COM expertice, but if the extension
makes it very easy, it may well be the way to go.

For both these suggestions, the question is: will it allow me to get the raw
URL, no matter what it is?

> Is there any specific reason why you don't want to use
> Python as a scripting language in ASP?

The ASP way is to mix logic and contents. We generate contents from external
sources, e.g. XML. While it obviously would be possible to write an ASP page
that interfaces to the content generator behind the scenes, It wouldn't be
the most clean solution.

What I really would like is very simple: have IIS pass me the URL + CGI
parameters, then I generate a page using some mod_python code and our own
Python app and pass it back.

regards

Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard, direktør og systemkonsulent
Metation aps - Kystvejen 29, DK-8000 Århus C
Web: www.metation.com  - Tlf: +45 8625 0038 - Mobil: +45 2925 6693