[mod_python] several mod_python issues

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Sat May 19 00:38:41 EST 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Chris Hagner wrote:

> While working with mod_python lately, we've noticed a couple of
> inconsistencies with the documentation and also have a few
> comments/questions on intended behavior and whether certain behavior
> was intended or is just a bug.
>
> 1. The PythonNoReload directive is a bit confusing and does not provide
>    an option that would also be useful. "PythonNoReload Off" performs a
>    full reload/import of the pyhandler on every request.
>    "PythonNoReload On" only performs a reload/import when the mtime
>    of the handler has changed. We would like to also propose an
>    additional option to "never" reload/import the handler except upon
>    initial startup of the child process. This would allow for a more
>    controlled re-initialization of the server(s) via an apache graceful
>    restart.

This one is a BUG that seems to have been introduced in 2.7.3 releases
while trying to fix another one....

The remaining two issues are just a big mess because I never gave any
priority to PythonImport. The only catch with Summer Hayes's approach is
that stuff will run as root, which to me seems kind of bad. (I haven't
seen the patch, so this is part speculation)

Grisha