[mod_python] Getting modpython to work on Linux Mandrake 8.0?

Tom Emerson tree at basistech.com
Tue Aug 28 06:44:59 EST 2001

Iwan van der Kleyn writes:
> I've compiled and installed Python v2.1 without thread support and
> succesfully compiled modpython 2.7.6 and installed it into Apache as a DSO.
> No error messages in the logfiles, so presumably that worked fine.

You can tell if it really worked by looking in the server's error log
right after you restart the server. On my FreeBSD system I get:

# /opt/www/bin/apachectl restart
/opt/www/bin/apachectl restart: httpd restarted
# tail /opt/www/logs/error_log
[Tue Aug 28 06:37:46 2001] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
[Tue Aug 28 06:37:46 2001] [notice] Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) mod_loopback/1.2
    PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_python/2.7.5 Python/2.0 configured -- resuming normal
    operations

If you don't see the mod_python entry then the DSO isn't registered.

Make sure the lines:

LoadModule python_module     libexec/mod_python.so
AddModule mod_python.c

are in your configuration file.

> No succes here, because no matter what, apache/modpython failed to
> detect the PythonHandler keyword. Changing the <Directory> into the
> <Location> tag did work. Apache started wihout a problem, the Python
> interpreter was loaded, but reported an errormessage because it couldn't
> find the handler in its path. Using the PaythonPath keyword didn't help.
> So I can only guess that this version of Apache uses a different way of
> configuring than which is mentioned in the modpython documentation.

OK, so it sounds like the DSO is loading OK. Is the mod_python package
in your Python interpreter's load path? Do you have more than one copy
of Python on the machine? In the past I've had problems in that
situation.

Can you send the precise errors reported in the error_log and, if
applicable, in your messages file?

FWIW, I make use of mod_python in both <Directory> and <Location>
directives, using both SetHandler and AddHandler.

> So after trying for a day or so, I'm ready to give up and go back to
> Tomcat :-)

Ugh, anything but that. :-)

Sorry I can't offer more right now.

    -tree