[mod_python] Getting modpython to work on Linux Mandrake 8.0?

Iwan van der Kleyn iwan at vanderkleyn.com
Tue Aug 28 10:08:40 EST 2001

Hi there,

Has anyone been able to get modpython to work on Linux Mandrake 8.o? I've
installed it succesfully under previous versions of Mandrake, but no
luck with the latest.

I've compiled and installed Python v2.1 without thread support and
succesfully compiled modpython 2.7.6 and installed it into Apache as a DSO.
No error messages in the logfiles, so presumably that worked fine.

Then I had to configure commonhttpd.conf to include the <Directory> tag.
No succes here, because no matter what, apache/modpython failed to
detect the PythonHandler keyword. Changing the <Directory> into the
<Location> tag did work. Apache started wihout a problem, the Python
interpreter was loaded, but reported an errormessage because it couldn't
find the handler in its path. Using the PaythonPath keyword didn't help.
So I can only guess that this version of Apache uses a different way of
configuring
than which is mentioned in the modpython documentation.

So after trying for a day or so, I'm ready to give up and go back to
Tomcat :-)

If anyone did get modpython to work on Mandrake 8, I would be very
gratefull if he or she would share this information with me. I guess I would
already be helped by the correct commonhttpd.conf entries.

Regards,

Iwan