[mod_python] Apache Segfault

Ben Leslie benno at sesgroup.net
Mon Oct 9 11:15:46 EST 2000

Moin Matthias!

Matthias Bauer schrieb am Freitag, den 29. September 2000:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm having some severe trouble installing mod_python 2.5 with the
> following environment:
> 	SuSE Linux 7.0
> 	Python 2.0b1 with threads
> 	Apache 1.3.12
>
> I compiled mod_python.so with the following command:

<snip a bunch of details about apache segfaulting>

I think I _may_ know what the problem is.

I have installed mod_python on my laptop with no problems, very easy
(once I actually read the instructions ;), anyway needed this on one
of the servers, so I asked my sysadmin to install.

This turned out to be harder than I would have expected, we started
with apache-ssl and couldn't get the thing working, kept segfaulting.

I said maybe it is a conflict with ssl extensions so we uninstalled
acpache-ssl and installed apache standard, tried same thing happened.

After much swearing and cursing it turns out that the position of
mod_python in the LoadModule section is very important.

By placing mod_python as the first Module imported things are good and
work fine, having mod_python as the last module to load causes segfault.

</boring story>

So the moral is:

make sure you load mod_python before other modules.

Gregory: Is this an expected problem? Should I patch the docs?
(I don't think I have the time or ability to patch the code ;)

Cheers,

Benno