[mod_python] Threaded Python and mod_python

Gregory Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Fri Nov 3 23:04:16 EST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Dave wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I just downloaded the 2.6.3 version of mod_python and ran configure. In
> addition to checking my blood pressure

:-)

> ( a very nice feature, maybe 2.7 can do a CAT scan), it reported the
> following warning:
>
> ****** WARNING ******
>   Python is compiled with thread support. Apache 1.3 does not use threads.
>   On some systems this will cause problems during compilation, on others

This is platform dependend, and frankly I'm not much of a thread expert. I
know on FreeBSD you will get unresolved symbols at link time when trying
to mix threaded and non threaded code. This is because it links against
separate versions of C libraries.

I don't know if this applies to Linux or Solaris. I know some people have
reported segfaults on RH if mod_python is not the first module listed, and
I have a suspicion that it is thread-related.

So that warning is exactly that - just a warning.

Perhpas someone on this list more knoledgeale on the subject can shed some
light on this?

[P.S. lest someone reading this gets the wrong idea - mod_python *is*
thread safe, it couldn't run on Win32 if it wasn't]

Grisha