[mod_python] Reloading PSP sometimes shows old pages

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Mon Mar 30 02:01:56 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 04:47:02PM +1100, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> 2009/3/30 Mike Mueller <mike at subfocal.net>:
> > Good point, here's the exact situation:
> >
> > Page1.psp and Page2.psp both include common.psp, using the <%@include %>
> > syntax.  common.psp has the navigation menu and other common page
> > contents, in a function called gen_header().  I was changing the code of
> > this function, while reloading a window pointed at Page1.psp (or
> > Page2.psp).
> >
> > Yes, the problem occurs with MaxRequestsPerChild 1.
> > (And I restarted apache after setting this.)
>
> If MaxRequestsPerChild is 1 then it can't be a caching problem within
> mod_python.
>
> What is the actual URL path (don't care about host), are you relying
> on additional path information passed to the request or query string
> arguments?
>
> Do you connect your browser direct to that Apache instance or do you
> go via some firewall proxy/cache? Do you have any sort of caching
> enabled in Apache?
>
> Graham

The URL has no query string, it's just http://host:81/~mike/test/page.psp.
No POST parameters or anything, a very simple page.

No proxy.  Browser is on the same host as Apache.  As I said in the
first email, no caching in Apache, as far as I can tell.  (I grepped
around the config files looking for any caching that might've been
enabled by default, and came up empty.)

The more I play with it, the more I think it may just be Firefox that
sucks.  The bouncing-between-versions only happens in it.  I thought
Opera had it because the first time I loaded my page in Opera, I got an
old version (several versions prior) of the page.  That was before
changing MaxRequestsPerChild.  But I haven't seen that in Opera since.

Opera's only problem is that reload doesn't always update to latest...
sometimes I have to navigate away and come back, or it'll keep showing
me the version it has loaded.  (I've tried various combos of shift,
ctrl+shift, etc. while clicking reload).

Also, after a certain length of time (a minute or two?), both browsers
simply load the latest version, with no weird old versions appearing.

This is frustrating.

--
Mike Mueller
mike at subfocal.net