[mod_python] When will next version of mod_python be released?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:40:19 EST 2009

2009/2/10  <Scott.Chapman at verizonwireless.com>:
> I'm trying to compile mod_python 3.3.1 against Apache 2.2.11 and I'm getting
> this error:
>
> connobject.c: In function `_conn_read':
> connobject.c:142: error: request for member `next' in something not a
> structure or union
> apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
>
> I understand that it's fixed in SVN:
> http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2008-October/025724.html
>
> I can't use a non-release version in production.
>
> Can you tell me when the next mod_python release will happen?

There are effectively no active developers working on mod_python at
the moment. I might if one is lucky fix build issues in subversion
code, but that is all. I still answer questions on the list, but
likely not much longer.

In other words, not likely any time soon. Even if work was done on in,
not sure one could muster enough votes per Apache Software Foundation
rules to approve it for release.

Overall the future of mod_python is quite uncertain and at this stage
probably quite certain that it will not get ported to Python 3.0
unless some enthusiastic white knight comes along. Even then, there is
quite a backlog of bugs to be fixed before a port could seriously be
considered.

BTW, if you are only wanting to host a WSGI capable application such
as Django, TurboGears, Trac etc, then use mod_wsgi instead. It is up
to date, still actively worked on and arguably will replace a lot of
the low level handler functionality of mod_python.