[mod_python] mod_python, python, MySQLdb, and Leopard - workable?

Jim Geist jimge at rodentia.net
Sun Mar 30 02:50:33 EDT 2008

Hi all -

I've been trying to get a small web system I'm working on ported from
Linux to OS X so I can work on my laptop without connectivity to my
Linux box. The system uses mod_python to implement a web service
backed by MySQL, and also contains some command line Python tools for
db maintenance.

I'm running into some problems. Seems on Leopard, Apache is running as
x86_64, and python is i386. So to get mod_python to work, you have to
compile it 64 bit. If you do that, it works fine, but THEN you have to
install 64-bit MySQL, and compile MySQLdb as 64-bit. That makes the
web side work, but then you can no longer use the MySQLdb module from
the normal Python interpreter, since it's 32 bit...

Has anyone run into this, or found a solution? I could recompile
Python as 64 bit, but then I'm maintaining a Python install different
than the prepackaged one that came with Leopard, and I'm afraid of
breaking other dependencies that use 32-bit modules.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!!

-- Jim