[mod_python] Page fails to show up

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Oct 18 10:00:52 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to make a sort of front-end for doing certain
things with my Google Calendar account. I'm using mod_python on my
own server to do it. This is my first time using it, and I keep
running into a problem where certain code causes the page to not show
anything at all.

For example, at some point I use a method called _PrintOwnCalendars()
which executes a query and obtains an object with information about
my calendars. When this method only contains a simple "return
'test'" (say, as a test), it does just that. I can then print the
string that I obtained from the method; it works fine. But when I use
the actual code (which is "feed = self.cal_client.GetOwnCalendarsFeed
()"), and then return an arbitrary string, it doesn't work. As in, it
simply ceases to do anything. I get a blank page even if I return
some string that's then printed or try to print messages after that.

I don't get an error message at all, either. Normally, when doing
things that raise an exception, it shows the complete debugging info.
But for some reason mod_python seems to return absolutely nothing in
some cases.

I'm sure that the code not working must be because I'm using Google's
API wrongly or something like that, but I'm wondering how it's
possible that mod_python shows nothing on the screen instead of
simply showing debugging info.

Thanks,
Michiel