[mod_python] object type. why it not works?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 01:06:34 EDT 2007

> Personally, I'm in favor of
> replacing publisher with vampire -- why hasn't that happened? vampire
> does everything publisher does, in my experience, and then does the
> other things I need/want.
>
> Ziapannocchia -- you should check the vampire module out.
> http://www.dscpl.com.au/projects/vampire/  Not to dump on publisher -
> but vampire offers some real advantages over the stock publisher.
> Graham did a bang up job on it. (Thanks Graham)

Putting a publisher like handler in Vampire was born out of the
frustration of having to answer too many questions around the fact
that the mod_python 2.7.10 version of publisher didn't work the same
as the mod_python 3.1.4 version. These differences were in part
because of feature additions, but also because of bugs. Luckily
mod_python 2.7.10 seems to finally be dying out as people get rid of
Apache 1.3.

Now although I cleaned up certain things in the Vampire publisher I
couldn't go as far as I would have liked as then it wouldn't have been
compatible. I would really liked to have addressed the whole trailing
slash problem in publisher whereby it is too easy for relative paths
to get wholly screwed up because of there being multiple URLs that can
map to a resource. But then, I know some people think publisher not
being strictly correct a good thing.

With all my work on mod_wsgi I'm not sure where Vampire stands at the
moment. Although Vampire works with mod_python 3.3, it still actually
ignores the new mod_python importer. I'm not sure whether I'll address
that, or whether down the track sometime I would instead take Vampire
or parts of it and rehost it as either a WSGI application, or on top
of some mod_python like extension of mod_wsgi that I have in mind
where Apache APIs get wrapped by SWIG instead of being hand crafted as
in mod_python.

It is hard to know what to do and whether I am already possibly been
seen as being a heretic for doing mod_wsgi and thus moving away from
mod_python. This will only get worse when I start work on some
companion modules for mod_wsgi I have in mind which would be a more
direct competitor to mod_python. One wouldn't necessarily be able to
make it totally compatible, but it wouldn't be too hard to provide a
mod_python like API for basic handlers and publisher on top of what I
intend creating.

In some respects I am progressing down a path I once discussed on the
mod_python developers list captured in:

  http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-December/022841.html
  http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-December/022881.html

although my ideas have changed a little bit know. I have chosen though
for now to progress this outside of the ASF as my own project.

BTW, for anyone interested, the code for mod_wsgi is all complete. Am
now trying to create more documentation, although what is there
already isn't that inconsequential. Aiming for an actual 1.0 release
towards middle of July. If at all interested mod_wsgi can be found at
www.modwsgi.org. If curious as to where I intend going with mod_wsgi
after that, probably wouldn't been too hard to get me talking about
it, but not sure here is the most appropriate place. Thus might be
better to take such a conversation over to the mod_wsgi list.