[mod_python] under names

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri Jun 16 21:56:27 EDT 2006

On 17/06/2006, at 3:04 AM, David Bear wrote:

> I know that using an underscore in an identifier 'hides' that name
> from being accessible to a url.

The underscore rule only applies if you are using mod_python.publisher.
It doesn't apply if you are defining your own basic handler or are using
mod_python.psp.

> I am wondering if that applies to
> identifiers that are imported as well.
>
> For example if,
>
> from mydefines import *
>
> makes an identifier mydefines.myvariable available in the namespace as
> 'myvariable', is it still possible to 'call' myvariable via url as in
>
> http://myserver/pythonapp.py/myvariable
>
> I am starting to wonder about the best way to keep certain functions
> and variables obaque to prying web eyes, and if putting them in
> modules offers any protection.

When mod_python.publisher is used, any variable, function etc,
whether it
be local or imported from another module as above is hidden if a leading
underscore is used for the name.

Note that make sure you are using recent version of mod_python (3.2.7+)
though, as 3.1.X has a bug in it that results in underscore prefix
values
being visible in a certain error situation.

Graham