[mod_python] Can't seem to get mod_python working, please help me

Lee Brown administrator at leebrown.org
Tue Jan 17 07:22:10 EST 2006

Greetings!

Right-click on your python installation directory and select "sharing and
security."  Click on the "security" tab."  (If you don't see a "security"
tab, you need to disable "simple file sharing.")

Make sure that user SYSTEM is listed in the top box and make sure that user
SYSTEM has "full control" selected in the bottom box.  Otherwise, user
SYSTEM has no authority to execute python.

Windows XP has gotten a bad rap for being insecure, but it in fact has a
good suite of security features that most people simply are unaware of or
simply do not use.  The NTFS file system has very fined-grained, unix-like
control over user/group permissions, but most XP users don't take advantage
of it.  Using administrator-level accounts all the time is also a very bad
idea - it is just like running everything as "root" on a unix box.

If you are going to be using this computer as a web server accessible to the
outside world, please believe me that you're going to need to know how to
use these features and more.  While securing an XP box for the web is beyond
the scope of this mailing list, please consider doing the following:

1 - Read up on XP system administration and security.  There are several
good books on the subject - contact me off-line if you need a
recommendation.

2 - Get yourself behind a hardware firewall.

3 - Establish specific users/groups for your web services and give these
identities very specific access to only those things they need in order to
run.

4 - Harden your Apache server against attack.  I very highly recommend
mod_security (http://www.modsecurity.org)

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown
(administrator at leebrown.org)