[mod_python] SimpleXMLRPCServer causing seg fault?

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Fri May 13 03:07:43 EDT 2005

Linux/2.4.25 Apache/2.0.54 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7
mod_python/3.1.4 Python/2.4.1

>Compiled in or loaded as DSO?

DSO

>In respect of PHP, it doesn't need to be compiled in, it merely needs to be
>loaded as DSO using LoadModule directive. A PHP page doesn't even need
>to have been loaded by a request.

There is no PHP of any kind installed. I'm compiling from source all
components and would know if I was including PHP. Anyway it doesn't show
up in my logs as including PHP. :)

>Anyway, expat shared library versioning issues is the only cause I know of
>for importing of XML type modules crashing Apache. Suggest that in a
>separate handler you try importing "xmlrpclib" and see if you get the same
>sort of crash.

xmlrpclib causes the same problem. Does mod python have issues with
threading or forking or anything like that which I need to take into
account?

>BTW, ever looked at Vampire? It has a nice and simple mechanism for
>creating XML-RPC services in mod_python.

I've heard it mentioned but haven't tried it. I have an existing xmlrpc
module of my own making that I use and it works fine (when xml works at
all.. evidently) although I don't doubt that better modules exist. The
main feature I like about it is that if you access the server with a
normal web browser you can browse the code's documentation. No idea if
Vampire and other xmlrpc module do that too. I really don't need
anything fancy other than that though.

For a different project, I do need a lightweight XML-RPC service that
can run without Apache but I am thinking of trying Twisted for that.

>Using Vampire's mechanism is better than SimpleXMLRPCServer as it
>optionally allows you to access the original mod_python "req" object if
>you need to:

To what purpose?

>Also allows publishing of basic data types such that call will return their
>value without you needing to wrap them with an actual function.

Not a bad idea.

--
Michael <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org