[mod_python] A PSP templating example with XML and XSLT

Lee Brown administrator at leebrown.org
Wed Aug 10 22:53:21 EDT 2005

Greetings!

Here is the problem:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="/static/._stylesheet/example/browser_info.xsl"?>

Some browsers (like IE6) recognize "text/xsl". Some browsers (like Opera)
recognize "application/xml".  Mozilla and Firefox recognize both types.  I
suspect that if you changed "text/xsl" to "application/xml" it would work on
Opera, Konqueror, and Safari.

In general, the acceptable MIME type for xslt stylesheets is inconsistent
across browser platforms at this time.  I have found that the only
consistent, fully cross-platform solution to delivering xml-based content is
to do a server-side xslt transformation of the xml into xhtml.

Apropos to mod_python and the 'list, there are several solutions available
for performing xslt transformations within a mod_python handler.  Pyana
provides a python class wrapper for the Apache Xalan-C xslt processor, there
is a python wrapper for libxslt floating around somewhere (seen it but never
tried it), and there is a pure-python xslt processor available in
FourThought's 4Suite.  I found Pyana to be fast and stable; you can find it
on Source Forge.

(Side Note: Oddly enough, the fastest xslt processor I've tried is the
Microsoft MSXML COM object.  You'd think that all of the PyWin32 COM
overhead would really slow things down, but it doesn't seem to.  Of course,
this knowledge is of little use unless you happen to be running Apache 2.0
under WinXP.)

Best Regards,
Lee E. Brown
(administrator at leebrown.org)