[mod_python] Re: error message when mutexes cannot be created

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Tue May 18 09:25:13 EDT 2004

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2004, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>When restarting, I sometimes get the following error:
>>Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
>>address [::]:443
>>no listening sockets available, shutting down
>>Unable to open logs
>>                                                           [FAILED]
>>
>>It seems that if this happens, Apache shuts down, but the mod_python
>>mutexes have already been allocated and they aren't deallocated...
>>Is there a way to detect a configuration error that prevents full start
>>up and release the mutexes?
>>

>Hmm... This would qualify as a bug, though I'm not clear whether this is a
>problem with mod_python, or rather Apache itself for not giving mod_python
>an opportunity cleanup mutexes.

Yes, I've added some code to my init script that detects it and cleans
them up, so at least I can see when its happening now.
I think Apache isn't shutting down properly.

>What version of Apache/Python/MP/OS is this?

Good point, can't believe I didn't say!
It's Linux, kernel 2.6.5, Fedora Core 2, Apache 2.0.49, mod_python 3.1.3
(all standard rpms from fedora)

What's the best way to debug this?

David