[mod_python] http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2003-November/003888.html

Jim Peterson jpeterson at ainet.com
Mon Nov 3 20:25:41 EST 2003

This is too funny!  I'm still puzzled tho - previous installation required,
or at least accepted  "/192.168.1.1/python/hello.py/say."

Anyway thanks very much. I was blind!

Bert Hughes

As a fellow struggling newbie, I can say that you were not blind.

Page 41, section 6.1.1 of the .pdf documentation illustrates a
SetHandler and a URL that requires the .py extension.

I paste it below.  Sorry for the messed up formatting.

6.1.1 Introduction
To use the handler, you need the following lines in your configuration

<Directory /some/path}
     SetHandler python-program
     PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
</Directory>

This handler allows access to functions and variables within a module
via URL’s. For example, if you have the following module, called ‘hello.py’:

""" Publisher example """

     def say(req, what="NOTHING"):
     return "I am saying %s" % what

A URL http://www.mysite.com/hello.py/say would return ‘I am saying NOTHING’.

A URL http://www.mysite.com/hello.py/say?what=hello would return ‘I am
saying hello’.

I would have hit exactly the same problem if I hadn't just seen your thread.

Jim