[mod_python] mod_python installation on winnt

Klaus Riedel kriedel at syntricity.com
Thu Jan 16 16:13:46 EST 2003

Hello All,

I am learning Python and am trying to run/implement the code in "Leaning
Python" book chapter 10.  This is just an html form that calls some python
code feedback.py.

Before we get into whether or not I installed the mod_python.dll correctly
let me know if this behaviour is normal.  In my IE url address I point to
the html code that is a form, that when filled and submitted will call the
script feedback.py.  When I fill the form and hit submit, I get the text for
feedback.py to come up on my browser.  I would expect this if mod_python is
not installed.  If however, I place my curser in the url address ( it is
till pointing to
(E:\syntricity\home\armstrong\webserver\cgi-bin\feedback.py) and hit return
the script (feedback.py) which outputs html is actually run??? i.e. the cmd
window comes up and tells me that none of the form fields where filled out
and then quickly closes.  The reason I ask if this is normal is because if I
point to a perl script and run it from the browser I get the page not found
screen on the browser.

What is wierd is that I get the same response whether or not I am pointing
to my original working conf file or not which leads me to believe that I
have not installed correctly.  (I am just stopping and restarting my apache
services between conf edits).

I am running apache 1.3 and python 2.2 and I have downloaded the
mod_python-2.78 dll and placed it in my E:\Apache\modules directory, I have
placed my python scripts in
E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/cgi-bin/python and have the following
items in my conf file:

Could my options in my conf be wrong?
.
.

#
# Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
#
LoadModule anon_auth_module modules/ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dll
LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dll
LoadModule digest_module modules/ApacheModuleDigest.dll
LoadModule expires_module modules/ApacheModuleExpires.dll
LoadModule headers_module modules/ApacheModuleHeaders.dll
LoadModule proxy_module modules/ApacheModuleProxy.dll
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/ApacheModuleRewrite.dll
LoadModule speling_module modules/ApacheModuleSpeling.dll
LoadModule status_module modules/ApacheModuleStatus.dll
LoadModule usertrack_module modules/ApacheModuleUserTrack.dll
LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.dll

ExtendedStatus On

.
.
.
ServerName armstrong
ServerAdmin webmaster at syntricity.com
DocumentRoot E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/htdocs
UserDir "E:/Apache/users/"
Alias /cgi-bin/ "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/cgi-bin/"
Alias /python/  "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/htdocs/python/"

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/cgi-bin/"
ScriptAlias /python/
"E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/htdocs/python/"

Alias /icons/ "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/icons/"
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/htdocs">
    Options  FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
</Directory>

<Directory "E:/syntricity/home/armstrong/webserver/cgi-bin/python">
    AddHandler python-program .py
    PythonHandler mptest
    PythonDebug on
    Options +ExecCGI