[mod_python] Query about client server interaction

Tim Parker (UK) tim.parker at intec-telecom-systems.com
Fri Jan 17 11:26:15 EST 2003

Hi,

This is both a bit of understanding mod_python and also how CGI scripts in
general work, basically I have a long running query which can take up to a
minute or so to process, I want to return a page to the User immediately
saying what it is doing, ideally I would like this page to get updated
during the processing of the other operation.  And then when it has finished
the process it loads the resulting page on the Client.

I believe some of this is possible with server-push but this only works in
Netscape as far as I can tell.  Also I can load a temporary page and have a
refresh every few seconds which will check to see if the other process has
finished, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a clever way to achieve
this, ideally to have a dynamically updating page which checks the status of
the process and when it has finished loads the final page.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any ideas on this.
Cheers
Tim.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged and/or copyright
material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies).  If you are not an
intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete
it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail.  In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free
from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any
attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom
Systems PLC.