[mod_python] layering mod_auth_digest and mod_python authentication in apache2

Paul Querna chip at cyan.com
Mon Feb 10 16:03:58 EST 2003

I am trying to setup mod_auth_digest to work with a mod_python script.

What I want is AuthDigest to decode the username, and password, and then to
pass this onto my mod_python authenticationn scripts, without having to
re-write the entire mod_auth_digest in Python.

I have been tyying to use the mod_python's PythonAuthenHandler[1] and AuthType
Digest in my httpd.conf, but AuthDigest is always rejecting the
users/passwords, because I am not using a localfile at all.

I thought mod_auth_digest would have somthing simular to mod_auth_ldap's
AuthLDAPAuthoritative[2], which can pass authentication onto the next handler,
but I don't think that exists for mod_auth_digest

Here is the basic plan, the HTTP client, uses Digest authentication to apache,
which passes it onto mod_auth_digest, who will NOT find it in a local text
file, but instead will pass on the request with the decoded username and
password to mod_python's PythonAuthenHandler where i will use my own python
scripts to validate the user information.

Is what I am trying todo even possible, and if it is, what do i need todo?

Thanks,
-chip

[1] http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.0.1/doc-html/node54.html
[2] http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth_ldap.html#authldapauthoritative