[mod_python] Re: [Webware-discuss] ModPython problems

Chuck Esterbrook ChuckEsterbrook at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 19:13:01 EST 2001

At 03:59 PM 7/10/2001 -0700, larry a price wrote:
>OK, i did get the Webkit.cgi to work and the ModPythonAdapter seems to
>work, does the correct redirect, I guess i was under the impression from
>the docs that ModPythonAdapter 'required' ModPythonAppserver to work
>correctly. Since that's not the case I'm not sure i understand why
>ModPythonAppServer exists... it doesn't look like it enables any
>additional functionality. (aside from diddling the apache API)
>the import _apache failure still bugs me though (anyone on the mod_python
>front who can offer their wisdom?)

Most WebKit app server flavors run as separate Python processes launched
from the command line:

python Launch.py ThreadedAppServer

But ModPythonAppServer is special: He lives *inside* Apache/mod_python.
That also means he needs no adapter to shuttle requests and responses
between himself and the web server.

Presumably this reduces the overhead of having the web and app server talk
via TCP/IP for greater performance. However, you probably also get multiple
child process versions of your app server which could easily confound your
application logic at the very least. And the inability to restart the app
server independently (as I mentioned earlier).

ModPythonAppServer is due to be moved to an Experimental/ subdirectory.

-Chuck