[mod_python] Re: [modwsgi] mod_python publisher

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 18:29:03 EST 2009

2009/11/11 Martijn Moeling <martijn at xs4us.nu>:
> Graham,
>
> I was searching the list searching for answers about moving away from MP to MWSGI and stumbled upon the below conversation.
> Because of the workings of MP my application is heavily based around passing reference to the Request object.
>
> Also I have modified Session.py from the MP package to store session data in a database behind SQLAlchemy.
> Due to trial and error i found out that connecting to the database on each request with the Database closure in
> a fixup request was the best solution in MP not sure yet about WSGI but I would like a similar scenario (which is in the WSGI wiki examples)
>
> In the random number generation part of Session.py is some MP specific code (I do not seem to understand that part)
>
> I have been thinking of making a WSGI-MP adapter to get rid of the runtime or live troubles of MP being code compatible as base for MP applications.
> so yes I am interested, and I would not mind contributing.

It isn't something I have time for these days. Can't even find time to
get next version of mod_wsgi released and only way I will achieve that
is to rip out some half done stuff I had added related to statistics
generation, deferring it to later or try and do it at Python code
level as an example rather than in C code of mod_wsgi itself.

There have been some people who have mentioned before they were
constructing mod_python request like objects for use in WSGI
applications for porting, but seems they only do it for themselves and
aren't interested in making it public.

BTW, mod_python only compiles on latest Apache 2.X versions by
applying a fix. In Apache 2.3 (2.4), even with that fix it is unlikely
to compile as they have changed quite a bit authorization handler
APIs. So, Apache 2.3 (2.4) may spell the end for mod_python unless
someone does the work in fixing mod_python.

Graham