[mod_python] Reloading PSP sometimes shows old pages

Mike Mueller mike at subfocal.net
Mon Mar 30 01:24:26 EDT 2009

I'm trying to do some site development in mod_python, using psp.  Since
I'm making frequent changes, it'd be nice if I can quickly reload them.

What I'm seeing is that reload doesn't always work.  A lot of times,
hitting reload will simply show the same version I was already looking
at, even though the .psp file has changed on the server.  Sometimes,
it'll update and show me the new one.  Sometimes, strangely, it'll show
me an even older version of the page than the one I'm currently viewing.

i.e. if I insert text into the page and reload after each one, "change 1",
"change 2", "change 3"... sometimes I'll see change 3, sometimes it'll
hop back to change 1, and continued reloads bounce around between the
versions.  Firefox seems to do this more than Opera, but I've seen it in
both browsers.  I've even turned off Firefox's cache with the web
development toolbar extension, without much difference.

Unfortunately, the problem is random enough that it's hard to tell when
a particular tweak has improved the situation.  It seems like navigating
to a different page, then coming to the desired page, will frequently
work.

Via searching, I've found a lot of information, but I'm still having
problems.

Right now, I have:

  PythonDebug On
  PythonAutoReload On  (even though this should be on by default)
  MaxRequestsPerChild 1 (based on Django's mod_python devel advice)

I'm using Apache 2.2.8-1ubuntu0.5, mod_python 3.3.1-2build1 on an Ubuntu
8.04 system.  As far as I can tell, I don't have any Apache caching
turned on.

Testing with Firefox 3.0.8 and Opera 9.64.

--
Mike Mueller
mike at subfocal.net