[mod_python] Re: Windows Binaries for Python 2.6

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 22:02:00 EDT 2009

2009/7/27 David <lists at theflorys.org>:
> On 7/21/2009 7:21 AM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> 2009/7/21  <ray at aarden.us>:
>>> I am planning an installation of Trac, SVN, and Apache.  The current version
>>> of Python supported by all is 2.6.  But I don't see an installation package
>>> for mod_python for python 2.6.  Did I miss it?  What are my alternatives and
>>> what are the risks?
>>
>> Use mod_wsgi instead. Python 2.6 binaries are on the mod_wsgi site.
>>
>>   http://www.modwsgi.org
>>   http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/downloads/list
>>
>> Graham
> Is this a plug for mod_wsgi or an assertion that mod_python has been
> replaced?  Is mod_wsgy a better solution?

I am the last of the developers who was active on mod_python who even
bothers to answer emails here any more. I have no intention of doing
any further coding work on mod_python. I only really stay on the list
to learn about issues mod_python might be having to make sure that
mod_wsgi isn't going to be affected by similar issue and fix mod_wsgi
if need be, or document issue for mod_wsgi if necessary.

So, choice is, use mod_python for which there is no active development
or maintenance and is effectively unsupported, or move to the WSGI way
of doing things for which there are many hosting options for many
servers, including mod_wsgi for Apache.

That said, if you are happy with mod_python, by all means use it, but
if you have problems don't expect there to be anyone around to fix it
for you.

PS. And no I didn't author mod_python. Even so, the original author of
mod_python isn't active on it either.