[mod_python] Decoding HTML escape characters in HTTP Requests

Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ behnam at zwnj.org
Sat Jan 3 17:49:07 EST 2009

Thanks Clodoaldo.  UTF-8 works fine.  What I was reporting is that
non-UTF charsets are not supported in Publisher (and probably some
other handlers as well).

As a result of this problem, you'll get python errors or wrong results
when dealing with non-ASCII characters in a browser/site with non-UTF
*default* charset.

Example:
- You have IE6 and you haven't changed the charset. (it must beMS or
ISO Western)
- Open this page: http://asiwg.org/~behnam/tr31_zwnj/
- Copy Á (U+00C1 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE) to the field and
press submit
- You'll get this python error: """
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
    return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc1 in position 0:
unexpected end of data
"""

What I say is that it's not so hard to detect the content encoding
from the HTTP request header and pass that encoding to the decoder.
And I say it's important, because not all the time you get the
exception error; but sometimes you just get the wrong answer.  For
example, try a non-Latin (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc) in the example above.

-Behnam