[mod_python] Thread safety issue in Apache 2 Threaded MPM

howard chen howachen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 06:13:53 EST 2009

Hello,

I am a newbie to mod_python...as I am from PHP...

Here are the story...

In PHP's world, they recommend to use Apache 1.x or 2.x in prefork
mode, to avoid the potential thread safety problem...their reasons
are...

------------------------
PHP is glue. It is the glue used to build cool web applications by
sticking dozens of 3rd-party libraries together and making it all
appear as one coherent entity through an intuitive and easy to learn
language interface. The flexibility and power of PHP relies on the
stability and robustness of the underlying platform. It needs a
working OS, a working web server and working 3rd-party libraries to
glue together. When any of these stop working PHP needs ways to
identify the problems and fix them quickly. When you make the
underlying framework more complex by not having completely separate
execution threads, completely separate memory segments and a strong
sandbox for each request to play in, feet of clay are introduced into
PHP's system....

So it is the same with mod_python?

So should I recommended to use Apache 1.x to avoid the potential
thread safety issue?
(Yes I know it is very rare, maybe even 0.0000001%, but just want to confirm)
Thanks.