[mod_python] req.user always returns None

Mitesh Shah mshah at harpercollege.edu
Mon Feb 9 18:17:17 EST 2009

I am having some issues trying to req.user to return a username.  I am
very new to python and mod_python.  I happened upon this thread:

http://osdir.com/ml/python.mod_python/2003-10/msg00092.html regarding a
similar issue.

Anyway, even when I ran the code posted by "David Hancock" in the post
above I only got a "None" for the username in the error_log file.  I am
sending this in the URL:

"http://localhost/python/mptest"

Here is the test setup as it applies to me(basically unchanged).

******mptest.py*******

from mod_python import apache

def handler(req):

        req.content_type = 'text/plain'

        req.send_http_header()

        req.write("Hello, world!")

        return apache.OK

def authenhandler(req):

        user = req.user

        pw = req.get_basic_auth_pw()

        req.log_error(str(user) + ' ' + str(pw))

        if user == "fred" and pw == "secret":

                return apache.OK

        else:

                return apache.HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED

*******mptest.py******

*******httpd.conf******

<Directory "/var/www/html/python">

    AddHandler python-program .py

    PythonHandler mptest

    PythonAuthenHandler mptest

    AuthType Basic

    AuthName "mod_python restricted area"

    require valid-user

    PythonDebug On

</Directory>

******httpd.conf*******

[Mon Feb 09 17:10:04 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] None secret

After attempting to login I get a 401 page and then I am asked to login
again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Mitesh