[mod_python] Using mod_python Berkeley DB XML, XmlManager, with MacOSX Tiger/Leopard/SnowLeopard (again)

Peter Robinson p.m.robinson at bham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 19:12:30 EST 2009

Folks
Last March there was a thread on the problems of getting mod_python
running with Apache in Mac OSX, with a very thorough discussion by
Graham Dumpleton a.o. on how to make it work.  (see http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2008-March/024955.html
  ; also
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2007-October/
024376.html).  This discussion should have solved the issue forever.
Alas, it has not .. for me anyway.
In trying to run mod_python with Berkeley DB XML, in the mod_wsgi
incarnation, an older problem has resurfaced.  This is to do with
Apache locking up when python tries to access the key XmlManager class
in bdbxml. A discussion on this list http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2007-April/023445.html
  , under the topic Global Interpreter Lock problem with Berkeley DB
XML and mod_python, dealt with this.  Graham (again) suggested two
fixes:
1. recompile bdbxml with the compiler option -DSWIG_PYTHON_NO_USE_GIL
2.  reinstall the python bindings, editing dbxml/dist/s_swig so that '-
threads' isn't in swig_args for Python
I tried the second, and this changed nothing.  I cannot figure out how
to do the first (sh buildall.sh  --with-berkeleydb-conf=-
DSWIG_PYTHON_NO_USE_GIL
and sh buildall.sh  --with-dbxml-conf=-DSWIG_PYTHON_NO_USE_GIL fail)...
so help would be really helpful!
I am trying to do this on SnowLeopard.
Peter
Peter Robinson
Institute for Textual Scholarship and Electronic Editing
Elmfield House, Selly Oak  Campus
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston B29 6LG
P.M.Robinson at bham.ac.uk
p. +44 (0)121 4158441, f. +44 (0) 121 415 8376
www.itsee.bham.ac.uk