[mod_python] Credential caching for Apache/mod_python

Daniel Klaffenbach daniel.klaffenbach at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Dec 10 11:57:51 EST 2009

Hi,

in my setup mod_python is being used for authentication (with
PythonAuthenHandler). The Authentication process is pretty complex
(hybrid mySQL/RADIUS).

Authentication with mod_python itself works very well on this setup.
However there are some speed and server load issues. We are serving
mostly SVN and WebDAV stuff over https.

Now whenever a user wants to upload a large number of small files to
his/her DAV share, quite a few WebDAV commands are being issued.

The problem is that for every simple DAV command (PROPFIND, GET,
OPTIONS,...) the Python auth handler is being asked if the
user-provided credentials are valid - Apache does not seem to do any caching.

As a result of this the RADIUS and mySQL Servers are being asked for a
username/password TWICE for every single file the user uploads,
downloads or just lists in a directory, which is *really* bad.

So my question is: Is there a good way of telling Apache and/or
mod_python to cache the "apache.OK" reply from the Python auth handler
for a few seconds?

BTW: I am on Scientific Linux 5.3 with Apache 2.2.3 and mod_python 3.2.8.

Thanks in advance!

- Dan Klaffenbach