[SPAM] Re: [mod_python] mod_python adapter for mod_wsgi in the make

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:33:10 EST 2009

2009/12/2 Dave Britton <dave at davebritton.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 22:46 +1100, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>
>> A few questions.
>>
>> If you don't use publisher, what parts do you use?
>>
>> 1. PSP?
>> 2. cgihandler?
>> 3. FieldStorage?
>> 4. Session?
>> 5. Cookie?
>> 6. import_module() and import overlay?
>> 7. request_rec, server_rec, conn_rec wrappers?
>> 8. ap_internal_redirect() wrappers?
>>
>> Overall, what is it about mod_python that you are doing would make it
>> a better platform that WSGI?
>>
>> Are you aiming for 100% compatibility or more just the style of
>> writing applications?
>>
>> Some stuff like Cookie and FieldStorage could be switched to more
>> modern Python standard library equivalents, but obviously they would
>> not be wholly interface compatible.
>
> * I want an easy, straightforward way to create web applications with
> python scripts. MP/Publisher provided that, more or less, easier than
> WSGI by itself, where I need to use yet another wrapper, all of which
> have added baggage to learn and problems to find out about and features
> to avoid using.
> * Basically, all I mostly need to do is efficiently process forms POSTed
> with hidden variables, so easy management of cgi variables is important,
> eg. FieldStorage.
> * I really like the ability to hide the dot-py file extension that MP
> offered, although it always seemed finicky to muck about in the apache
> conf to get the precise combination of Add and Set handlers and
> Directory specs required.

You can get URLs with no file extension with mod_wsgi as well. See:

http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationGuidelines#The_Apache_Alias_Directive

In particular where it talks about MultiViews and MultiViewsMatch.

> * Being able to import new modules without restarting apache would be
> nice. WSGI seems an improvement in both of these last two regards.
> * I never trusted cookies or sessions in MP so I do them myself with
> MySQL and a passed-in cgi token, so a trustable database connection
> management system would be convenient, although I admit I have always
> opened and closed connections just when and only while needed, with no
> apparent performance problems, and had a warm feeling inside that the
> data always got saved, offset ocassionally when I forgot to close a
> connection and crashed the system with too many open.
> * I never used psp, preferring to incorporate my html inside functions
> instead of vice versa.
> * Internal redirection was something that I have occasionally made use
> of, and would like to have available from within my python scripts,
> easily. Not having to deal with headers etc. is a nice thing too.

Thanks for the feedback. More useful input into my thinking about
various things.