[mod_python] One Apache and two python versions with mod_python

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 00:24:58 EST 2008

2008/11/6 Normando Hall <nhall at unixlan.com.ar>:
> I was reading your response and clarified some questions and I think I can
> run everything.
>
> I have python 2.3 installed by default and can not uninstall it for
> compatibility reasons. It is installed in /usr/lib/python2.3 and access it
> through the file (which is on the PATH) "python" in /usr/bin.
>
> Python 2.4 installed under /usr/lib/python2.4 and access to it is through
> "python2.4" in /usr/bin.
>
> So, if I ran python -V I get:
> [root @ devel-server conf] # python -V
> Python 2.3.4
>
> On the other hand, if I run python2.4 -V I get:
> [root @ devel-server conf] # python2.4 -V
> Python 2.4.2
>
> What I need to do is to compile mod_python against python 2.4, but not as I
> did before. Before I moved
> cp /usr/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python
>
> and I was by default when running python I get python 2.4.2
>
> What I need to do is to compile mod_python against python 2.4 but tell that
> uses /usr/bin/python2.4 instead of /usr/bin/python
>
> Is there a way to do it?

If both are already installed under /usr, then use:

  ./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.4

I believe this is documented in the installation instructions in the
source code.

That should just work without any fiddles in Apache startup scripts.
The fiddles would only be necessary if had to install second Python
version under different root and so 'python' executable found by
mod_python at startup was for wrong version.

Note that that mod_python looks for 'python' executable is only so it
can work out where corresponding lib directory is, it doesn't actually
run the 'python' executable as it already embeds the Python
interpreter code.

Graham