[mod_python] Using mod_python with MacOSX Tiger/Leopard.

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:19:33 EDT 2008

On 11/03/2008, Eric Brunson <brunson at brunson.com> wrote:

>  Graham,
>
>  That's an excellent proposal. Undoubtedly more constructive than my
>  ill-advised rant in a previous email.  I currently have my set up from a
>  year ago still runnable, but I'm probably using versions quite old by
>  this weeks standards.
>
>  lima(~)$ httpd -V | head -1
>  Server version: Apache/1.3.33 (Darwin)

Hmmm, mod_python 3.2.10 will not run with Apache 1.3. Sure you have an
alternate version of Apache installed.

BTW, the subversion trunk source code still requires Apache 2.X. It
doesn't somehow magically now work on older versions of Apache.

If you are wanting to use Apache 1.3 and aren't using mod_python
specific features but just want to run WSGI capable applications,
better off using mod_wsgi.

>  lima(~)$ python -V
>  Python 2.4.3
>  lima(~)$ locate mod_python.so
>  /Users/brunson/src/mod_python-3.2.10/src/.libs/mod_python.so
>  /Users/brunson/src/mod_python-3.2.10/src/mod_python.so
>  /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_python.so
>  lima(~)$ python -c "import MySQLdb ; print MySQLdb.__version__"
>  1.2.1_p2
>
>  Everything is working and I can supply config options for those who wish
>  to reproduce, but in todays terms, those versions are practically
>  archaic.  I think most of the dependencies were a combination of what
>  was available in Darwin Ports and what I was running at work at the
>  time.  We've since upgraded to apache 2.2, python 2.5.1, mod_python
>  3.3.1 and MySQLdb 1.2.2 under Solaris 10, so I'm out of date in every
>  respect on OSX.
>
>  If I have some time over the next few days (weeks?), I'll try to update
>  and post back results.  I'm afraid that, no matter what, I won't be able
>  to comment beyond Tiger, as I've been assured my little 800MHz G4 iMac
>  won't run Leopard.

Same problem with my old G3 iBook, but then that isn't even a G4.
Still good for surfing when watching TV though. :-)

Graham