[mod_python] Apaches and Pythons and Tigers, oh my!

Ben Davies omarshariffdontlikeit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:04:35 EDT 2008

Hi guys and gals,

Quick progress update:

I Googled about and found this article:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg38088.html

I noticed that it made reference to the correct 2.5 library framework, so I
recompiled mod_python with the following set of instructions:

$ export
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-F/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
$ ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-python=/usr/local/bin/python
$ make
$ sudo make install

Restarted Apache, and got the following message again:

Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_python.so into server: Library
not loaded:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python\n
Referenced from: /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_python.so\n  Reason: image
not found

Again, it still references 2.3. So there must still be some obscure
reference somewhere, pointing the configure script to the older framework
version.

Any OSX/Unix jedi's out there that shed some light on this, or any
suggestions on locations I should be looking for this reference?

I'd just like to add to Cindys previous comment that I too have had nothing
but positive experiences with OSX, and it certainly has eased the "fear" of
Unix/Linux systems for me. However, it is my understanding that mod_python
is relatively new (I not sure if this truely is the case, but it certainly
is the image projected), and that whilst it works and is production ready,
it's not in the PHP/Ruby+Rails click-click-click install phase just yet.
Personally, I understood that using mod_python would require that I roll my
sleeves up and get elbow deep in the terminal, but then I'm personally
having a whale of a time trying to sort this out and get it working on OSX.
But maybe thats just me :)

anyways, I'll keep poking away at this and posting my results!

Cheers!

Ben