[mod_python] Apaches and Pythons and Tigers, oh my!

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:22:34 EST 2008

On 09/03/2008, Ben Davies <omarshariffdontlikeit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone help me? I've been fiddling about with this mess for about 48
> hours now and I'm so close to getting this working I can taste it! Heres a
> quick summary:
>
> - I may have installed python 2.3 in the past

No you didn't, it came with the operating system.

>  - I installed python 2.5, but it appears that it did not replace all the
> references to 2.3, because

I always recommend not installing a newer version of Python on MacOS X
Tiger unless you know what you are doing. :-)

> - apache/mod_python complains about a missing 2.3 framework, which
> - I, in a spate of backspace frenzies, deleted, thinking I wouldn't need it,
> cos I have 2.5 installed, which has its own framework files located
> elsewhere

Removing the OS supplied Python is a really bad idea and you may now
have potentially broken parts of your operating system that depend on
it. Unless you can copy back the bits you deleted from another copy of
same OS, you may have to reinstall the OS.

In short, on MacOS X, you should never delete anything under
/System/Library as this is the operating system area. Any user code
packages should get installed under /Library if it did so and only
really safe to remove stuff out of there, but only if again you have
also removed any dependencies.

After you have fixed your OS, personally I would suggest that since
you are new to Python not to bother with mod_python initially.
Instead, learn one of higher level frameworks such as Django or
Pylons. These can be run with their own internal Python web servers.
At lowest level they use WSGI which allows them to be deployed to
various web hosting solutions if you ever get as far as a production
system.

So, first step is to get Python 2.3 working again. After that I'd even
suggest you get rid of Python 2.5 and just use Python 2.3 for the time
being. If learning Python you aren't going to miss much by doing this.

Graham