[mod_python] OS X install mod_python w/o MacPorts

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 19:22:46 EST 2008

On 04/03/2008, Wilden Mark <mark at mwilden.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install mod_python on Mac OS X 10.5 using MacPorts.
>  However, that is seemingly not possible right now (see http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/14470)
>  .
>  As a Windows user until quite recently, MacPorts, Apache, python are
>  all very new to me. My question is whether there's an alternate way to
>  install mod_python on OS X beside MacPorts?

Do you really need mod_python? If the application you want to run can
be hosted on any WSGI capable hosting mechanism, easier to use
mod_wsgi at this point as it compiles and installs out of the box on
MacOS X without requiring MacPorts. See:

  http://www.modwsgi.org
  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationOnMacOSX

In general I would recommend against using MacPorts or fink, but
obviously if you aren't comfortable with compiling/install stuff
yourself that may be a problem.

Now, as to whether you can get mod_python working without MacPorts or
fink will depend on what version of MacOS X you are running. If using
10.4, can't be easily done unless you install Apache 2.2 yourself from
source code. If using 10.5, can be done, but requires some manual
changes to be made to makefiles if you are running with a 64bit Intel
(maybe 64bit PPC as well) chip.

Tell us what chip and OS version you are using and can be more
specific about mod_python.