[mod_python] Trouble importing files through mod_python

Dominique.Holzwarth at ch.delarue.com Dominique.Holzwarth at ch.delarue.com
Tue Jun 3 02:39:08 EDT 2008

Importing packaged/modules under mod_python is a little bit complicated (imo) cause mod_python tries to make a difference between then standard system python search path and a own, mod_python specific search path for modules.
For full reference of the problem see: http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-November/022726.html

As a quick (but not complete) summary here's what I've used so far:

1. put your packages as "normal" python packages under <python-dir>/Lib/site-packages, then you can import them the same way as you would do with the console. However, if anything changes, you need to restart apache (takes like 1 sec ;-))

2. put your packages under the apache (python-) document root. If you configured apache to search for *.py files under ../htdocs/python and your packages are inside that directory then you can import them like this:

from mod_python import apache
someName = apache.import_module(~/package-name/module-name.py)

Note that "someName" can be choosen whatever you want. The "~" points to the python document root.
Using that method you don't need a __init__.py file to reflect the package structure btw. Also, using this method changes inside the packages are reloaded on-the-fly by apache without the need to restart it. It is however possible to access the *.py files through the web if apache is not properly configured (not sure if you can hide them fully tbh).

3. put your packages ANYWHERE outside the apache document root AND outside of site-packages.
In this case you need to set the mod_python importer path. Packages/modules in this path aren't automaticly reloaded, so after a change, you need to restart apache:

PythonOption mod_python.importer.path "['some/path/to/my/Module.py', 'some/other/path/to/a/directory/with/modules']"

This statement goes into apache configuration file (httpd.conf or .htsomething ;-))
Importing these packages/modules should work the same as you do from within the console. I'm not totally sure about that tho as I used this method only to import modules - never packages (so I'm not sure wether "import package.subpackage.module" works...)

Greetings
dominique

This e-mail and any files attached are strictly confidential, may be legally
privileged and are intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by return email and
then delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately.

The views and or opinions expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily the
views of De La Rue plc or any of its subsidiaries and the De La Rue Group
of companies, their directors, officers and employees make no representation
about and accept no liability for its accuracy or completeness.

You should ensure that you have adequate virus protection as the De La Rue
Group of companies do not accept liability for any viruses.

De La Rue plc Registered No.3834125, De La Rue Holdings plc Registered
No 58025 and De La Rue International Limited Registered No 720284 are all
registered in England with their registered office at:
De La Rue House, Jays Close, Viables, Hampshire RG22 4BS